Date(s) - 08/11/2018 - 10/11/2018
2nd World Community Power Conference WCPC2018
“Community Power for a Renewable Future!”
Bamako, Mali, 8-10 November 2018
The World Wind Energy Association WWEA and the Malifolkecenter Nyetaa MFC, together with the Institute for Sustainable Energy Policies Japan ISEP, will host the 2nd World Community Power Conference WCPC2018 in Bamako, Mali, from 8-10 November 2018. The event will bring together large numbers of national, regional and international community power stakeholders to provide a launch pad for the community power concept in Africa, in line with the main theme “Community Power for a Renewable Future”
Registration is now possible on the WCPC2018 website and is free of charge! The WCPC2018 hosts invite community energy stakeholders from around the world to join the discussion on how to maximise the benefits of renewable energy for all human beings, with a special focus on unserved areas in Africa. The challenge for the world in general, and Africa and Mali in particular, is to make a transition towards clean, democratically controlled, participatory and distributed renewable energy sources. That means moving away from the centralised energy systems to decentralised renewable solutions. Use of Community Power implementation will bring even more benefits to local communities.
WCPC2018 follows the 1st World Community Power Conference 2016 which was organised in Fukushima City, Japan, in November 2016. The WCPC2016 brought more than 600 leading community power proponents from Japan and the world together to discuss the role community power has to play in the global shift towards renewable energy.
The main objectives of the WCPC2018 are:
- Continue on from the first WCPC to promote community power on the international level as solution that is needed to create a more participatory renewable energy future, in the face of the negative effects of climate change and the dangers of nuclear energy.
- Raise the profile of community power and its multiple benefits in Mali and Africa through maximum stakeholder participation including in particular in financial assistance, and public outreach.
- Conclude with clear and comprehensive policy recommendations both on the national as well as on the international level, including its implications and importance for SDG 7 and NDC implementation.
WCPC2018 has already obtained the support of the Government of Mali, the German Ministry for the Environment, GIZ, Global100RE Platform, IGA, IHA, IRENA Coalition for Action, ISES, REN Alliance, WBA and several other international organisations.
The official conference language will be English and French, participation will be free of charge: https://www.conference.community/registration/
Abstracts are invited on the following topics:
- Community Power: Business Models – Bankable Projects
- National Support Schemes for Community Power
- Community Power and International Frameworks: SDGs, Paris Agreement & NDCs, Green Climate Fund and beyond
- Adapted Technologies
- Integrated Energy Concepts and Sector Coupling
- Renewable Energy and Agriculture
- Capacity Building
All abstracts should be written in English or French, be concise and clearly state results, objectives or key components of the paper – as well as the topic to which it belongs. They should not exceed 500 words and should contain a list of key words. Abstracts should be submitted before 15 June 2018 online on www.conference.community – direct submission: www.conference.community/abstract-submission
- Deadline for Paper Abstract Submission: 15 June 2018
- Notification of the Accepted Papers to the first Author: 15 July
- Full paper submission during the conference onsite
General contact info: www.conference.community
WCPC2018 Secretariat Bamako:
Faladié SEMA, Rue 800, Porte 1293, Bamako
Republic of Mali
Tel: +223 2020 0617
Contact person: Mrs. Johanna Togola
Companies interested in joining the event are invited to contact Johanna Togola as well